Saturday 10 August 2019

Stories that speak to the Nation's Policy


By Nontokozo Ndlovu, 1st year MDP student
Coming to the end of my placement, I have mixed feelings of both happiness and sadness. I have enjoyed being here, learned a lot and been part of a huge family. I managed to make friends and had good interactions with BONELA's clients. Sometimes it was hard to hear heart breaking stories, but they made me stronger and work harder to see that clients got the help they needed.
BONELA has been and still is a safe space for many and a voice for the voiceless. I was involved in many different activities. I attended training on disability and related human rights and sign language. This was a refresher course for human rights advocates and training for new human rights workers. I was responsible to present on the right to health as a community engagement exercise. This was to help improve my presentation skills at an event for the People with Disabilities. This training explored the rights of disabled peoples, the issues they face in communities and the existing community protocols to help disabled people.
I attended the Gaborone District evidence-based planning meeting and the Kweneng Sub- District Council training workshop for the newly elected Child Protection Committee where I presented on the latter. I was tasked to present on The Rights of Children. With the help of the knowledge from my supervisor, I managed to present and tackle questions that were asked. This experience helped my confidence and understand more about the issues that the community faces. 
A landmark legal event for the LGBTI community happened during my placement – the Botswana's High Court's decriminalised same-sex relations. This ruling was cause for jubilation from the LGBTI community. This achievement impacts the work of BONELA as they can now freely address safe sex issues among the LGBTI community and prisoners. Stigma and discrimination against this community continues and BONELA will continue to stand with them and advocate for their rights.
Outside the High Court of Botswana after the Court Ruling
I enjoyed what I did as it is not only life impacting to me, but it changed lives. The knowledge I  gained is phenomenal.

No comments:

Post a Comment