Thursday 25 June 2020

Working for PILC from Home

By Kate Robb, 1st year MDP student

My first field placement is with the Public Interest Law Centre (PILC), an independent office of Legal Aid Manitoba. PILC represents groups and individuals on a variety of issues affecting the environment, Indigenous peoples, human rights, and consumers. Although it was disappointing that I was unable to undertake my original field placement due to the pandemic, I was excited to have the opportunity to work with PILC this summer. I was already familiar with the work they do, as I took a course taught by two of the lawyers during my undergraduate degree, and assisted with an event they co-organized this past March.

The project I am working on for PILC is related to the Augmented Flow Program, which allows Manitoba Hydro to deviate from the operating conditions set out in the Interim License of the Churchill River Diversion. I have been reading a range of studies and reports and organizing and summarizing them in a way that will allow the PILC team to easily access the most relevant information when they need it. The impacts of the Augmented Flow program directly affect both the environment and First Nations communities in northern Manitoba, therefore I have been able to apply a lot of my learning from my undergraduate degree in environmental studies as well as my first year in the MDP program.
Team PILC-MDP Zoom meeting
Undertaking my field placement remotely has been an interesting experience. I've had to work on improving my time management skills in order to stay focused while working at home every day. We have been having Zoom meetings every Monday and Thursday to check in and update everyone on our progress, which has been a helpful way of staying accountable.
I'm looking forward to continuing my work on this project over the next several weeks! 
Work from home

No comments:

Post a Comment