Friday 25 June 2021

Reinforced

By Christy Bird, 1st year MDP student

Boozhoo! I began my first field placement with the First Nation Health Social Secretariat of Manitoba (FNHSSM). I was thankful they accepted my application and allowed me to conduct my field placement with their organization. I was mentored respectfully and was able to be complete my placement with knowledgeable team of people that comprise the research unit at FNHSSM. I had the privilege to witness the great work they conduct with and for First Nation people and communities.

My deliverables entailed me to collect data on research projects that have been conducted with and on Manitoba First Nation communities. The objective was to determine research projects with open access and research exclusive to access only through academia and journals. I came to understand the importance of open access to research utilizing data from First Nation communities and peoples. It is imperative to ensure that data and objectives can enhance community standards and build upon more research. I have gained so much more understanding about the importance of data sovereignty and respectful practises and protocols that should be implemented within research projects when working with First Nation peoples. My time at FNHSSM allowed me to critically reflect on the importance of language and narratives when conducting research that is to be respectful and strength based. 

Aside from deliverables, it was great to have the opportunity to also participate in some excellent online training and workshops. The highlight was the annual NIBI Gathering which focused on birthing water and other water teachings. It was enlightening and opportune time to sit and enjoy with my daughters. I was also fortunate to attend OCAP training and other community gatherings occurring in the city of Winnipeg for the missing children found at residential schools. I appreciate the welcome and guidance I have received. Miigwech.


No comments:

Post a Comment