Friday 2 September 2022

Acimowin

By Christy Bird, 2nd year MDP student  

Boozhoo! I am excited as I wrap up my final field placement as a part of my MDP studies. I appreciate the opportunities I have had assisting Dr. Shailesh Shukla in community-led research of a traditional food guide with and for Fisher River Cree Nation. 

Last year I had a remote field placement due to the ongoing pandemic, but this year I was excited to be in the community and, most importantly, listen to stories from community members about their community and the traditional foods harvested in their community. As a part of building relationships is sharing stories; a highlight for me was speaking to community members who shared stories of my Murdock grandparents, as my Papa was a fisherman for many years in Fisher River. In addition, it was exciting to visit with youth that encompasses knowledge of the land and sustainable harvesting and take pride in their story of the history of Fisher River and their vision for a healthy community.  

The education I obtained through the past two years and last year's field placement enhanced my awareness of the importance of ethics and Indigenous research methods that ensured that I adhered to the ethical practice of community-led research and to ensure that value, respect, reciprocity, and honour were at the forefront of the research. Fisher River is a strong Cree community, and the work Fisher River is completing reinforces that Indigenous-led wellness has to be community-led and specific to their community. 

Again, I am thankful for all that was shared with me; it has greatly influenced the work I will embark upon as I exit my studies. Ekosi. Miigwech. 

No comments:

Post a Comment