Wednesday 13 September 2017

Researching the Effects of Community Based Education and Training in Nisichawayasihk Cree Nation



By Cassandra Szabo, 1st year MDP student



In addition to my work at the Atoskiwin Training and Employment Center of Excellence (ATEC) doing co-ordination, proposal writing and programming I have been working on a research project that is in partnership with ATEC and the Manitoba Research Alliance (MRA). The project's title is “Aboriginal Employment and the North: An Examination of Aboriginal Labour Training and Labor Inclusivity at the Atoskiwin Training and Employment Center (ATEC) in Nisichawayasihk Cree Nation, Manitoba, 2006-2020”. The main researchers of this project are Henk Warnar of University College of the North and Shauna MacKinnon of MRA and the University of Winnipeg.

ATEC hallway
The aim of this project is to show the stories and journeys of students that have attended ATEC. MRA has previously conducted studies examining Indigenous peoples' access and outcomes to training, education, and employment and these studies have shown that the most successful programs are ones that are small, holistic, and community based. 

Seeing as ATEC has now been in operation for 10 years it is positioned well to be used as an example of how this type of holistic and community based training functions and the specific benefits of it. ATEC has created a holistic model that takes into account all needs of the student, and it is located in the First Nation community so students do not need to leave their homes and families. The methodology of this research was decided upon with the staff at ATEC and it was decided that it should be as qualitative as possible.

My role in this research project came to fruition because I would be spending a significant amount of time on location with the students from various programs, and so I was offered the opportunity to join the project and conduct interviews as well as demographic surveys. I have learnt a lot from being involved in this project, many technical research processes and proper research protocol in a First Nation community.

When I first arrived in the beginning of May I believed I could get the interviews started and completed by June, however I realized that this was not going to happen- my first interview was not until late June. I realized the importance of making connections with individuals and building up relationships so that the students knew who I was and that they could trust me. I also realized that the researcher can be very influential in an interview, and the interviewer effect is a very real phenomenon. After listening to some of the first interviews I did, I came up with better strategies to ask questions in ways that weren’t too leading.

After conducting 25 interviews with students of all various programs operating at ATEC it is clear to see that the training center has changed the lives of all of these students in some way- and that this model does in fact produce high success rates. Many students report having higher self-esteem, many feel like they can go on to do more education and training, and many say that they would never have attempted to go to school had it not been for the people at ATEC that know them and encourage them to come to school.

No comments:

Post a Comment