Tuesday 17 September 2019

Kia ora whānau!

By Erika Vas, 2nd year MDP student

As mentioned in my last blog post, I cam completing my international field placement interning at The Lifewise Trust, focusing on areas of housing and homelessness, mental health and addiction, community and land development, and infrastructure. My placement has provided me with diverse opportunities to take my learnings from the office, to the streets, and to be welcomed by whānau into their communities. The time I’ve spent with whānau has been impactful, and has been a personal journey as much as an academic one for me.
In choosing my field placement, I wanted to pursue my passions, and continue to learn and grow in the field of housing and homelessness. Having focused my Major Research Project on on-reserve housing in Canada, and through my involvement with the Institute for Urban Studies (IUS) at the UW, my Supervisor, Dr. Jino Distasio was pivotal in supporting me to pursue my placement in Tamaki, and in connecting me with the Lifewise Trust. The IUS and Lifewise share a common thread of Housing First (HF), as Lifewise has modelled their program after that of Winnipeg’s and looks to Canada as a leader in HF, especially given Winnipeg’s Indigenous focus.
As mentioned by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Development, “HF was launched in Auckland with Government and Auckland Council funding in March 2017, and expanded to Christchurch, Tauranga and Hamilton in 2018”. HF is offered in multiple cities and areas in Aotearoa, including and Rotorua (where I completed my placement). HF is an international approach to solve social issues of housing and homelessness, recognizing that if we are to solve the issue of homelessness, we need to put people first. This approach supports individuals with multiple, high, and complex needs, knowing that when people are housed, they can be supported to address their complex needs.
During my placement, I had the chance to learn from HF whānau, Peer Support Leaders, Key Workers and Senior Practitioners in both Tamaki (Auckland) and Rotorua. I’m grateful to have been included in home visits, tenant lease agreements, home inspections, housing workshops & meetings, radio and tv interviews, and days spent shadowing these wonderful teams.
It was very interesting for me to note the similarities and differences in HF delivery internationally (between Canada and Aotearoa) and also within Aotearoa. The strength of HF comes from its ability to be localized and adapted to meet the needs of the people. For example, in Canada, the city of Toronto implemented an Anti-racism/Anti-oppression intervention, whereas there was an Indigenous-focused, trauma-informed intervention. I was able to see the differences in localization of HF in Tamaki and Rotorua (which are considerably closer than Winnipeg and Toronto), and because of the history, community ties, geography, and the ways in which relationships were present in these cities, their deliveries were also diverse. Rotorua HF is a partnership between Lifewise, Te Taumata O Ngāti Whakaue Iho Ake Trust and LinkPeople, making it the first Iwi-led Housing First Collective in Aotearoa, grounded in a kaupapa Māori approach.
As I reach the end of my placement, I am looking forward to returning to Rotorua to return to friends, help with preparations for The Big Sleep Out, and participate in this great event. I’ve spent quality time with Housing First Rotorua and I’ve seen firsthand how they are changing lives - beyond meeting immediate needs, but letting whānau lead & giving them a chance to thrive. I can’t think of a better way to celebrate this time here than spending a night with whānau, coming together over kai and stories, and raising awareness and funds for this community, supporting them in their community-driven work.
Aroha nui.


No comments:

Post a Comment