Monday 27 July 2020

Adaption and Resilience: Field Placement in Lockdown

By Ada Chukwudozie, 1st year MDP student

Although my field placement has not gone smoothly, or has been anything like I expected it to be, it has turned out to be a wild ride of positive surprises and endless possibilities. In my journey so far, I picked up a wealth of exciting and transferrable skills, as well as important life lessons on resilience and adaptability. 
Going into the practical aspect of the MDP, I was initially poised to start off with an international placement in Dominica, with the International Organisation for Migration (IOM). Plans however changed when the global pandemic hit. The pandemic forced a nationwide lockdown which meant I had to take a domestic virtual field placement. I was first placed with a not-for-profit organization but unfortunately, things did not work out and I was re-placed to assist on a project called Kishaadigeh.
Kishaadigeh is a research project funded by the Network Environments for Indigenous Health Research (NEIHR) and predominantly led by female Indigenous scholars. Its mandate is to develop a pathway for existing and upcoming Indigenous scholars to work alongside and within Indigenous organisations and communities to lay a foundation for self-determination in research. The current primary focus of the project is the development of research lodges at the community level and to this end, it has partnered up with four Indigenous organisations. 
I was assigned a role that has constantly expanded and evolved far beyond what I had imagined. My initial part in the project was to draft seed grant application forms for potential Indigenous health researchers. This responsibility evolved to a position as the project’s social media coordinator, in which I was tasked to create a social media presence for the project. My involvement with Kishaadigeh has seen me coordinate with its Indigenous research partners, conduct interviews, and develop valuable networks. Moving forward, plans have been made for me to attend board meetings and sit with the adjudications committee in August, indicating exciting new prospects to come. While I was very apprehensive of this third placement initially, these new-found skills and relationship building are things that cannot be quantified and things I will not trade for anything now.
What worked:  Because of an imposed new normal brought about by the pandemic, the mode of my field placement has not been a business-as-usual style but rather, a learn as you go approach. This came with obvious challenges which I discuss below but there are things that worked well too. One of the reasons my initial local placement did not work out was because of the structured, inflexible work-plan laid out for me prior to the organisation’s realisations of the dire impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the Indigenous communities it worked with. Restructuring and trying to fit me in proved challenging for the organisation. However, with Kishaadigeh, restructuring did not prove problematic. As new needs came up, I was kept in the loop and there were check-in sessions held to monitor and evaluate my progress.   This structure fostered flexibility and made it easier for me to adapt to a new normal.
What did not work: The lack of a concrete structure was what was most challenging for me. In the past, I thrived working with set deadlines and well-defined tasks. With this placement, I had to set deadlines for my task and work with a broad mandate. This is something that turned out to be a valuable learning experience and  made me learn to be a more independent worker capable of working under minimal supervision.
COVID- 19: The COVID-19 pandemic in many ways has been both a challenge and a blessing. The mandatory lockdown has been mentally challenging and I have tried to curb the effects of anxiety and feelings of isolation with yoga and online gaming. This allowed me to fill in the social void caused by the lockdown while still keeping fit. The challenge that the pandemic also caused with my field placement in general taught me resilience and as I move into the last half of this year’s placement, I move with a more positive mindset.


No comments:

Post a Comment