Saturday 11 July 2020

My Placement with CRC and Disaster Risk Reduction

By Racheal Kalaba, 2nd  year MDP student

I did my domestic field placement with the Canadian Red Cross – Manitoba and worked directly under the Disaster Risk Reduction department. (DRR).
My role was to work with the department's team in reviewing the DRR department, existing DRR tools and program reports, literature on engaging with Indigenous communities and policies on disaster management, and the fundamentals of disaster risk reduction, tools, and procedures. The final product is to be a review report of the work of the DRR program over the last 3 years including feedback from the community and staff in terms of mapping the way forward.
What worked: what worked was the literature review of the documents and review of tools. Since this work was mostly completed from my home office and online, I was able to review key documents and literature as well as get virtual support from my supervisor and the other DRR team members.  This worked though had its challenges because the initial plan was for me to be working in person with the DRR staff in person and in the CRC office.
What didn't work: Most of the work I was expected to do was to support in community visits, regular meetings, and feedback, engagement with Indigenous communities and leaders could not happen as Manitoba was and still is in a state of emergency due to COVID – 19 and the communities had more pressing matters and issues to deal with than COVID -19.
What I have learned and lessons during Covid- 19: I quickly learned that the situation was more about adaptability and resilience. Most times when I used to learn about adaptability and resilience it was more about communities and projects, then when COVID- 19 hit, I realized that resilience as a word is one, we think is easier to use until you find yourself in an unplanned crisis/ situation.
I also reflected on my Indigenous world view in terms of relationships, reciprocity, and trust. These key themes resonated well as I learned to rely on my supervisor and the DRR staff for support virtually. The support given helped me create a flexible weekly workplan, as well as take into account my wellness.
I appreciated more and more the Indigenous tools and concepts that make us co-exist as people, and it was more than achieving the tasks ahead, but making sure the wellness was also considered. After a hard 2 weeks, I created my starter pack for surviving the so-called ‘new normal’. I started walking more, created a good cooking regime, I had different workspaces - the favorite always being the kitchen table. I had my care team in the form of close friends and family, the aim and mantra  was to work, live, laugh and love. Through all this, I have created strong friendship bonds and appreciated the times when I felt like giving up and having friends who are always and therefore was the biggest support system and wellness. 
I really appreciate and thank the Manitoba Red Cross team especially my supervisor Dixie Reyes and Rachel Clark who made my work doable and memorable. I am excited on my new journey as an MDP graduate 2020.

No comments:

Post a Comment