By Gurpreet Kalsi, final year MDP student
As part of my Master's in Development Practice (MDP) program at the University of Winnipeg, I am completing a three-month virtual placement with Vikashalaya (ARATI) in India. Vikashalaya is working toward creating a Nature-Integrated Human Society by supporting children to develop strong relationships with nature, their communities, and their culture. During my placement, I have been working on the development of a Child Development Framework for Matrikul, Vikashalaya's child development initiative.
My main responsibility has been researching different approaches to holistic child development and bringing them together into a framework that reflects Vikashalaya's vision. This has involved learning about nature-based education, place-based learning in Santiniketan and Birbhum, and sustainable development approaches. I have also explored publicly available principles of Indigenous land-based education in Canada to better understand how learning through relationships, community, and the natural environment can help support children's development in respectful and meaningful ways.Vikashalaya team meeting
One of the biggest lessons I have taken from this practicum is that education does not only happen inside a classroom. Children learn through spending time outdoors, listening to stories, participating in their communities, observing nature, and building relationships with the people around them. These experiences help develop confidence, responsibility, curiosity, and a sense of belonging.
This placement has given me a deeper appreciation for community-based and nature-integrated approaches to child development. I am thankful to the Vikashalaya team, especially Asit Ghosh, for welcoming me into this project and sharing their vision. I look forward to continuing to learn from this experience and contributing to work that supports children, communities, and sustainable development.

No comments:
Post a Comment