By Rayna Daniels, 2nd year MDP student
When I first arrived in Sesquilé, a small town in Cundinamarca, Colombia, I knew my Master’s in Development Practice placement would be an opportunity to learn. What I did not expect was how it would change me. Working with Dr. Gabriel Nemoga, our focus has been on Indigenous tourism, exploring ideas and funding that could support the community while honoring Mhuysqa traditions and values. My part of the project has been to analyze a tourism proposal for Sesquilé, compare it with examples from other places, and suggest ways it can strengthen the community.
But the real lessons have come outside the research. The Mhuysqa people have welcomed me into their homes and ceremonies like the temazcal, hoska, and kozmuy where I have learned about spirituality, resilience, and the connection between culture and land. Everyday practices such as gardening, bird watching, and orchid conservation have shown me how environmental stewardship is an important part of daily life.
Life in Sesquilé has challenged me to grow in unexpected ways. Learning Spanish has been difficult, but each conversation brings progress and connection. Sharing meals of arepas, ajiaco, and bandeja paisa has opened doors to friendship and laughter. With the support of my colleague Leslie Kirkness, I have built strong relationships and discovered that respect and collaboration are at the heart of meaningful development work.
I have also come to appreciate how tourism, when guided by community voices, can be more than an economic activity. It can be a way of honoring traditions, protecting the land, and creating opportunities that align with local values. Watching how the Mhuysqa blend spirituality, environment, and community together has improved how I think about development itself.
As my time in Sesquilé comes to a close, I see how much it has changed me for the better. Working alongside Dr. Nemoga, learning from the Mhuysqa, and living close to the land have taught me that development is not just about projects or proposals. It is about listening, humility, and walking beside the community as they pave the path forward.


No comments:
Post a Comment