Friday 7 September 2018

Environmental Justice in India


By Ari Phanvoulong, 2nd year MDP student

Goa is an Indian state known for its beautiful beaches and picturesque landscapes, attracting travellers from near and far. Goa was a former Portuguese colony, liberated in 1961 after 450 years from Portuguese rule. The Portuguese influence in Goa today is still apparent in its architecture and numerous churches.

Travelling to Goa after spending the first part of my field placement in the southern state of Karnataka marked a new phase in my research. Prior to my arrival to Goa, I had planned to meet with several individuals I had been hoping to interview for my case study regarding a port expansion project. This port expansion proposal has been quoted by many activists as a coal-driven expansion of the port, which could increase air and water pollution for residents of Vasco da Gama, including local fisherfolk. For many years, this expansion project has been a contentious issue between companies that operate out of the government-owned port and residents of Vasco.
 
A view of the port from an office located on the beach

Finally arriving on the grounds on which the case study is set allowed me to organize same-day interviews as I was able to meet with participants at their convenience, usually within hours of first contact by phone. I was also told that it wasn’t unusual for students to call and visit government agencies to enquire in person, and so that is exactly what I did. The visits weren’t necessarily as effective as I expected considering the sensitivity of the subject. However, the individuals I did get to interview were enthusiastic and receptive to my questions, taking away any apprehension I had when I first arrived. 

The weeks I spent alone on the field tested my patience, but I was overall happy with the work I was able to accomplish autonomously. Despite not reaching my goal interviews in terms of quantity, I’m satisfied with the quality discussions I had with all willing participants and look forward to producing a report that can contribute to the larger environmental justice project.

A visit to Grandmother's Hole Beach at the Japanese Garden of Vasco da Gama on my last day in Goa.

No comments:

Post a Comment