Tuesday 11 September 2018

A Sense of Community


By Chelsie Parayko, 1st year MDP student

Is there such thing as an unbiased researcher? Human error, emotion or aptitude makes me lean towards no as a simple answer. We all, no matter how removed we want to be, impact data or the outcomes of our research, but does all of this have to be viewed as a negative factor. Does the notion of remaining emotionally unattached to the community have to be how we operate as Indigenous researchers?   

L-R: Chelsie, MDP alumni Rachel Bach & Vanessa Tait
I am not saying one should compromise their research, but what I am questioning is the current norms that are in place through academia. Throughout our MDP courses we have been taught that, as development practitioners that work with Indigenous communities, we must take directives first and foremost from the people of the community. We are taught that the most important thing is to get to know who we are working with and what the community would like to see as the ultimate goal. None of this is done without developing meaningful relationships. Open and honest dialogue comes from a place of trust, connection, and understanding.

What does it look like if researchers, working with Indigenous communities, hang up the clinical academic boundaries and immerse themselves within the community. What happens if we all worked a little harder to have the community truly in our hearts? Is this the key to effecting real change?

I met a beautiful Cree woman, who I now call my friend, during my time at the first Cree Birthing Gathering. We sat down to talk about her experience at the gathering and she told me she had never been to an event that included ceremony or traditional practices. She told me that she was finding herself crying nearly every hour as she watched these events take place, as it had put actions to the feelings she was having deep within her, her blood memory was radiating. I couldn’t help but shed a tear after for both my friend and for the cultural and spiritual loss my people continue to experience. I had an emotional connection to this person, and later, through that connection, I learned details to her birthing story that she may not have shared with others.  

Taking advantage of the beautiful evening and creating memories at Nibi Gathering. L-R: Stephanie Sinclair, Jerilyn Huson, Michelle Audy, Jolene Mercer, Chelsie and Rachel Bach
I believe community and connection are critical to success, both in terms of research and for your own self-care and preservation. Through my field placement I developed friendships and connections with people who I now consider a part of my community and it has made me a better person and a more efficient researcher. I am inspired to work harder for these people, for my people. My friend taught me a Cree word – kiwícéwákan, which roughly translates to, the one you walk with. She said it is used when you find a deeper connection with others. It’s time to walk with community.

Noretta Miswaggon, Chelsie & Sonia Spence at the 2nd land-based Cree Birthing gathering in Nisichawayasihk Cree Nation

No comments:

Post a Comment