Sunday 9 August 2020

Working on Anti-Racism Training during a Pandemic

By Ali Nychuk, 1st year MDP student


Hi I’m Ali. I am a currently finishing my first-year as a student in the MDP program, my field placement is with the First Nations Health and Social Secretariat of Manitoba (FNHSSM). Prior to COVID-19 I was planning to fulfill my field placement in New Zealand, however, due to the novel virus I continued my work with FNHSSM. My position with the organization is as a research Assistant on a Canadian Institute of Health Research funded project in collaboration with the University of Manitoba and University of Toronto working on an Indigenous-Specific Anti-Racism program for Physicians and Health Care providers. The training is an eight-week course with a 16-hour time commitment.  The distinctiveness of this training comes from its embodied two eyed seeing approach that uses the biomedical model of learning of “see one, do one, teach one” and self-reflexivity.

I personally find this work as heart-work as a white in passing Indigenous person I feel like it is my personal responsibility to aid in combating racism in healthcare. I also feel like my work on this project pays homage to so many of my family members, friends, and relatives that have experienced racism when trying to access healthcare. I have been interested in this work ever since attending a lecture put on by the Brian Sinclair Working Group. Strangely now one of the speakers is my boss, it’s really a full circle moment.

 

TTYL,

Ali

 


No comments:

Post a Comment