Wednesday 24 August 2022

Final Touches & Reflections

By Molly Damiani, 1st year MDP student

Hello everyone! I am going into the final stage of my domestic field placement with the WestEnd Commons. In these closing weeks, I will be making the final touches to my project and reflecting on my experience in the inner-city work-study program. My closing priorities are finalizing the report, making edits to the educational materials, and completing the community outreach tracking spreadsheet. I will also complete an assignment that is a joint deliverable between the work-study program and my placement supervisor addressing a key challenge that the organization faces. This challenge is community engagement.

Despite many efforts from the staff, the WestEnd Commons struggles to engage tenants in the building. They have planned a diversity of events, offered food/refreshments, offered childminding, and other incentives, all to no avail. My own engagement attempts were likewise unsuccessful. There is a clear divide between the leadership and the tenants, and between awareness and action that affects the community-building potential of the housing space. I hope that the research, educational materials, and recommendations generated this summer can support bridging this divide. Ultimately those in positions of power within the WestEnd Commons, need to commit to taking appropriate action and making structural and policy changes in the interest of cultural safety and responsiveness.

 This summer was certainly not without its challenges. The workload between the work-study course and placement was heavy. It was an important reminder to advocate for my needs and request accommodations when necessary. I am thankful for the support of the instructors and administrators, which has allowed me to be successful and to take away so many important lessons, readings, and resources. I could not have asked for a project better aligned with the research I plan to undertake this school year. It has truly made me feel so immersed and energized to keep learning and doing this work.


No comments:

Post a Comment