Tuesday 30 August 2022

Working on an Indigenous Seed Guide

By Hannah Johnson, 2nd year MDP student 


Hi, it’s Hannah Johnson! I have a bachelor’s in Native American and Indigenous Studies from the University of Minnesota Morris, and I am very passionate about Indigenous food sovereignty, especially concerning seeds! 

I’ve been lucky enough to work on a draft document that will one day be a guide for new gardeners to plant Indigenous seeds. There’s a lot to learn, and I’m happy to be involved!

One thing that’s really cool about the Indigenous seed guide is that I get to learn about what cycle of the moon certain seeds should be planted in! I didn’t even know that was a thing. 
 
Apparently, the moon impacts the level of moisture in the soil, and beets and other root vegetables should be planted at a different time from your leafy greens like spinach. I had no idea!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment