Friday 9 July 2021

Behind the Scenes

By Christy Bird, 1st year MDP student


Boozhoo! I completed my field placement and am thankful for the opportunities that I have had with the First Nation Health and Social Secretariat of Manitoba (FNHSSM). I cannot thank my supervisor enough for sharing their wealth of knowledge with me and allowing me to participate in the great work that they do.

Aside from academics, I have also been homeschooling my two young daughters since the beginning of the pandemic. This past year and a half have been both challenging and rewarding. While remote field placement has been difficult in terms of time management, it also allowed me to remain home with my daughters and ensure their safety and well-being. The one experience that I did not expect was a great deal of “Mom” guilt. Pre-pandemic, when I was working on a timeline of deliverables, I would call upon my family and friends to entertain my girls while I worked, much more challenging during a pandemic. This year I had to be creative with our time, balancing academics, both mine and theirs, entertainment, social outings, and all the others that fall under being a mom, trying not to forget my self-care. I am thankful for a supportive husband who still cannot find the laundry hamper but is always encouraging and helpful.

The knowledge that I adhered to during my field placement has enriched how I view research, especially when it comes to research with First Nation communities. My field placement has also reinforced that Indigenous ideologies and research are not second tier to western concepts requiring authoritative figures to approve. Again, I am thankful for FNHSSM allowing me the space to learn and grow as the experience and lessons I have learned will carry me forward to ensure I carry a strong voice in the work I take on in the future. Miigwech.

No comments:

Post a Comment