Tuesday 6 July 2021

Putting learning into practice

By Mackenzie Roop, 2nd year MDP student

This summer I have the opportunity to work as a policy assistant within the Policy Branch of Manitoba Agriculture and Resource Development. Working in government and especially policy is a unique position to affect change, I’m excited that my research will help inform policy recommendations.

My research

Presently, there is significant underrepresentation of Indigenous partners in the Agricultural sector. One reason for this could be the barriers Indigenous applicants might face in finding or completing a relevant funding application. To address this, my main research seeks to understand how to better align the department’s funding application process with the needs of Indigenous applicants. To learn more about different experiences and provisions, I am conducting interviews with our department’s application reviewers along with those from other jurisdictions, such as the federal government and provinces from BC to New Brunswick. In addition to interviews, I am launching an EngageMB survey inviting Indigenous applicants to share their experiences and recommendations with the application process.

One of my side projects includes advancing the department’s respectful engagement financial policy, hoping to make it a common and accessible practice to provide traditional gifts and honorariums. I am also preparing background research and drafting policy papers on topics like farmer’s mental health and diversifying production and market opportunities for newcomers.

Back to the Office

I am grateful for the opportunity to have a flexible working environment where I can come into the office or work from home. Most people in the department work from home, so I enjoy an almost empty office space while being fully vaccinated for COVID-19. After over a year of online work and schooling, this is truly a refreshing arrangement.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment