Friday 30 July 2021

Working from home for the summer

By Janelle Poiron, 1st year MDP student

Tansi. My name is Janelle and this is my first field placement! I’m currently doing my placement with the Evaluation Directorate within Indigenous Services Canada.

I think for me working online has definitely been both a boon and sometimes a difficult experience. As the office I work out of is in Gatineau, Quebec working remotely has been really beneficial as I was able to stay in the hometown throughout the summer. Especially as things open up again it’s been lovely to see friends. Also the commute can’t be beat, I definitely don’t miss trying to get home during rush hour! However, it definitely took getting used to even with having done remote work throughout the school year. Everyone has been super lovely but you do get to miss that human connection that you would get in person. Whether it be stopping by someone’s desk for a chat or grabbing coffee. However, I’ve been very fortunate to meet many of my colleagues for virtual coffee and get to know them more! There’s so many super intelligent people within my directorate and I’ve loved being mentored by them.

One of my challenges is also accommodating my desk within my bedroom and striving to keep it strictly a work area. I’ve found it really easy to place trinkets and other items on my desk but over time I’ve gotten much better at keeping it tidy! Here’s to hoping that trend continues!

Meegwetch for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment