Wednesday 25 August 2021

An international placement during a global pandemic: lessons learned

By Kate Robb, 2nd year MDP student

 

One of the requirements to graduate from the MDP program is an international field placement. In March 2020, when we began to experience the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic, I had no idea just how much my studies would be impacted. Fast forward to this year, it began to seem more and more unlikely that my colleagues and I would get to undertake our field placements in person, let alone internationally. While it was obviously a disappointment, I know it was the right decision to stick to remote/local placements this year. Especially as I wasn’t eligible for my first vaccine until a few weeks after my placement started, it would have been irresponsible to travel for something that could be completed from the safety of my own home. Luckily, thanks to the internet, I was still able to connect and work with an organization outside of Canada and fulfill the international placement requirement.

 

Now that I have finished my placement, I can reflect on the experience of working for an organization located over 4,000km away from me. Overall, the experience was more successful that I could have expected, and I learned some skills that I wouldn’t have had I done the placement in person.

 

My top three lessons learned from an international placement from home are:

 

1)      Time Management: I’ve always had pretty good time management skills, but working from home requires a whole new level of it. It’s so easy to lose track of time and get distracted by household tasks or other non-work-related things when you aren’t in a dedicated workspace. A year of zoom university definitely helped prepare me, but shifting to working a full-time job from home was an adjustment. I got used to it and figured out what works best for me, and now I can confidently say that I can work well and productively from pretty much anywhere.

 

2)      The Power of the Internet: Although we had a pretty good understanding of how useful the internet is before the pandemic, I don’t think we had any idea just how easy it is to work remotely before we had no choice but to do so. I didn’t really know what to expect when I signed up to work with people who are in Alaska while I am in Winnipeg, but thanks to the internet, I now truly believe I could work with people located anywhere in the world with little difficulty. The team I was working with made really effective use of online tools like Google Calendar to make sure everyone was on the same page and could work collaboratively despite the distance. This experience has shown me just how much of an inequity it is that so many people living in rural and remote areas don’t have access to reliable and high-speed internet.

 

3)      Communication is Key: Despite having access to the internet and all of its tools, strong communication skills are still required to be successful in working remotely. My team had multiple zoom meetings a week which helped us all to stay on track, help each other out, and build relationships despite being in different places. It is easy just to rely on email for everything, but often it can be easier and faster to solve a problem when communicating face-to-face. Not only that, but regular meetings can help make people feel like part of a team and reduce the isolation effects of working from home.

 


All in all, while I wish I could have travelled to Alaska this summer to work in person, I am grateful that my virtual placement was such a success. As we are likely to continue with some variation of work-from-home into the future, I will take the best practices I’ve learned this summer forward to any virtual workplaces I find myself in going forward.

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment