Tuesday 17 August 2021

Reflecting on what I’ve learned and honouring wahkootowin

By Kiera Kowalski, 2nd year MDP student

As I wrap up the last of my placement deliverables I find myself reflecting about the work and emotional labour that has been done by Indigenous leaders, and the work that has yet to be done to ensure community self-determination and empowerment for Indigenous communities across Turtle Island into the future. Through this placement I have been able to listen to first hand accounts from Indigenous leaders working to support community-based and decolonial approaches to development in Winnipeg. While we study these topics in different classes throughout the MDP, it’s much different hearing first hand from the individuals who were on the ground, even if its only through interviews. I am grateful to have been privy to these extremely raw, honest and important conversations.

I think understanding historical context is very important to further understand the way things change and happen in present day, and as I hope to work for my community in Winnipeg I think it’s important to appreciate those leaders that have come before us. As a Michif woman I understand honouring those leaders this as part of my obligation to wahkootowin, the concept of “being a good relative”. Remembering and centering their work within the context of my work reinforces my respect for their efforts. As a soon to be graduate entering the working world I am inspired by their approach to community development, activism and space making in Winnipeg.

Kiera (R) and classmate Ali (L) at a graduation celebration hosted by the MMF


No comments:

Post a Comment