Tuesday 24 August 2021

Working in the Homelessness Sector: A Memorable Experience

 By Emeka Ezeh, 1st year MDP student
I am currently working on my first placement with the University of Winnipeg in collaboration with End Homelessness Winnipeg. We are working on an Indigenous Focused Pandemic Response Plan for the homelessness sector. By reviewing case study cites around Canada, we were able to look at their roles and involvement in assisting the homeless populace during the COVID-19 pandemic. I am working with a team of 5 researchers who critically applied their knowledge and expertise on different sectors involving homelessness.
I worked on the human rights-based approach to housing and the Reaching Home Strategy enacted by the legislation in 2019. I researched the implementation of the strategy in Canada and Winnipeg in particular, successes, and lessons learned. I also researched the history of rights-based approach to housing and how the rights to housing affect other rights like rights to life, rights to privacy, rights to vote, rights to social security, etc. Canada being a signatory to international conventions that fully support and advocate for the rights to adequate housing signifies its unending commitment to ensuring the eradication of homelessness in Canada.
One of the challenges of working during the COVID-19 pandemic was working outside my comfort zone (interacting with people and working in the fields) as this was an unfamiliar experience for me.
The screen time was also a little challenging as I was looking forward to meeting my team in person and comprehensively discuss complex issues on homelessness in Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment