Thursday 10 August 2023

First Nations Waste Minimization

By Mohamed “Mo” Crossman-Serb, 1st year MDP student

Taanshi, my name is Mo (he/him), I am a Libyan-Metis who was born and raised in Winnipeg on Treaty 1 and the homeland of the Red River Metis. This summer I am lucky to do my local field placement at the First Nations Waste Minimization (FNWM) team at the Green Action Centre. FNWM works to support First Nation community initiatives at reducing waste such as increasing recycling, composting programs and community awareness. My role for the summer is the community engagement coordinator.

This role has me doing a multitude of tasks. I develop and deliver school presentations on waste minimization for both urban and in-community First Nation students. Promote and distribute Protecting Mother Earth for the Next Generation Activity Booklets. Developing the 2023-2024 RISE Webinar series, we ran our first one in June on an introduction to waste minimization. I was also lucky to work on the ground with the pathfinder team, going to landfills in communities across the province to help with their vital work.

The position had me travel to six different First Nation communities so far across Manitoba where I made new relationships and saw many friends from previous travels. I look forward to staying on with the team on a part-time basis over the school year!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment