Friday 4 August 2023

Procurement

By Daniel Nychuk, 1st year MDP Student

My name is Daniel Nychuk. I am a Métis man born the youngest of three siblings and grew up on a family farm in Osborne, Manitoba. I have a background in business as I completed my Bachelor of Commerce Honors degree in Accounting and Finance from the Asper School of Business.

 This summer, I had the opportunity to work for the Indigenous Chamber of Commerce (ICC). The ICC represents businesses and organizations that are Indigenous-owned and managed that provide support or services to our community and play a significant and relevant role in the economic development of this Province. The ICC performs many functions to foster the growth of the Indigenous business community. The ICC also represents non-Indigenous entities that provide support or services to our community, and we acknowledge that Manitoba businesses recognize the value of working as a collective on critical issues concerning Indigenous business initiatives.  

 My role as the research and Procurement Intern was to help co-develop and implement a strategy for the ICC to become a procurement Centre for excellence for our members and all Indigenous Businesses. Before I began my term at the ICC, I was very unfamiliar with the importance of procurement, especially to Indigenous businesses. Throughout my term, I expanded my knowledge of the current procurement practices and policies and now know why my role was put into place at the ICC. I am excited to see what the future holds as the ICC takes on more of a role in procurement. Overall, this has been a fantastic experience, and I am happy to say that I have taken a role to continue working during the fall term. 

Daniel Nychuk (centre) at an ICC event

 

No comments:

Post a Comment