Friday 10 September 2021

Growing and Learning… Just like a Plant

By Andrea Dsouza, 1st year MDP student


Hello everyone, this is my second update for my placement with CFTC this summer!

 

My work really took a deep dive as I learnt about the different elements included in a cost-benefit analysis and about indoor growing units. I considered myself to be a highly relational person. I enjoyed my placement this summer because it allowed me to connect with those engaged in the indoor growing community. I had many exciting conversations about hydroponics and the strengths and weaknesses of different options currently available on the market.


When it came to putting the information together, I was given the freedom to do so in a way that made sense to me. This was incredibly empowering, if not a little nerve-racking, at the start!  When I finally presented my deliverables to my supervisors, I was glad that my work also made sense to them! What a relief!


Over the past year in the MDP program, we learnt the importance of providing an intersectional analysis in our work. This aligns with CFTC's values. My final deliverable contains information about the strengths and weaknesses of different options available on the market. Additionally, it includes details like the companies engagement (or lack of engagement) with Indigenous communities and some of the known challenges of particular interventions. Together these elements help build an integrated analysis that can serve as an essential resource for communities investing in technological solutions.

I wonder if, without the covid-19 pandemic, I might have had the opportunity to connect more closely with Indigenous community members and understand more of their needs and vision for the future. However, I know that my supervisors were in close contact with their community partners, which gave me a sense of confidence that my work was on the right track. I also look forward to presenting my work to other members of CFTC and to Indigenous community partners during September!


This project has given me a sense of confidence in myself and my work as a development practitioner! I am grateful to the MDP program for helping me secure this placement and the staff at CFTC for their support and guidance throughout the summer!



No comments:

Post a Comment