Wednesday 8 September 2021

The Land Gives You What You Need

By Sarah DeLaronde, 1st year MDP student

I think the most beautiful part of the pandemic was learning to pivot. For my virtual practicum, I had the amazing opportunity to work with the Indigenous Knowledge and Wisdom Centre (IKWC) in Edmonton, Alberta. I  was able to create content for social media, review and edit treaty kit documents and do a literature review that focused on land based education. It was interesting though, as my workspace changed to suit the needs of my children,

I found myself going back to the land. I was able to do research, write, respond to email in my various home territories. It was essential to balance my life and sacrifice some things in order to accomplish everything I needed to. Going back to the land gave me the teachings I needed to hear to do my research in a good way. I sat and listened to the Sundance Chief at the Turtle Lodge and the importance of being connected to the land to be whole. I recognized how my spirit was revived every time my feet touched the soil and the beautiful clear waters. I saw the joy of my children as they were reintroduced to their homelands. 
The lessons I learnt included lessons I wasn’t looking for but that I needed to hear. Being able to pivot and change my workspace. Learning to be more flexible with my time and learn to adjust to get the work done. The importance of showing up and listening (even if it means virtually). I would’ve liked to experience the lands of Treaties 6, 7 and 8 that IKWC works with however I do appreciate being able to complete my practicum and be reintroduced to my home territories. The land gave me what I needed for my research, she takes care of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment