Thursday 2 September 2021

Policy and Progress

 By Mackenzie Roop, 2nd year MDP student

Time goes so slowly during the summer, and yet in a blink of an eye it’s gone. I’ve learned so much in this office over the last three months. Working in the Government of Manitoba in the Agriculture and Resource Development (ARD) policy branch has been an especially eye opening in these times of managing responses to extreme weather events and changes in climate, as we have seen with unprecedented forest fires and drought. It’s been incredible to see the efforts behind developing policy and subsequent program funding.

My projects have mostly revolved around preparing policy option papers to inform ARD’s Next Policy Framework. The papers I have helped prepare surround topics such as Diversity and Inclusion, Producer Mental Health, and Reviewing the Application Process for Indigenous Groups accessing program funding for agricultural and food projects. I learned to be adaptive and adjust the paper’s language and expectations. Throughout this placement, I have built skills in interviewing, qualitative analysis, research, and technical writing. It has been a huge learning curve in terms of adjusting my writing style, learning acronyms, and understanding contextual goals and perspectives. Despite many being online, there is a human element to working in an office. I am grateful to the many conversations, walks, and coffees that I have shared with my colleagues. This experience has given me an in depth understanding of government and political processes, and increased my general knowledge of resource related projects in Manitoba. Working in government and especially policy is a unique position to affect change. I am excited that my research will help inform policy recommendations.

No comments:

Post a Comment