Wednesday 1 September 2021

Last Week Thoughts

By Janelle Poiron, 1st year MDP student

Tansi. It’s Janelle again! I’m currently doing my placement with the Evaluation Directorate within Indigenous Services Canada. I primarily work on a literature review regarding networks!

What I’ve really appreciated this summer was a great work and life balance. I found myself in this environment that really supports self-care and everyone taking the time off they need to be their best. Coming from an intense Masters program it is always a stark difference. During the school year when I’m attending classes, there really is no stop button. When you’re not doing schoolwork you’re worrying about schoolwork and it’s something I personally struggle to turn off. However, I found myself very supported in working hard during work hours then signing off at the end of the day. Luckily for me, there are no literature review emergencies!

I think a lesson I learned this summer was to use my voice. Some of the best advice I’ve gotten is that you are your best advocate. It can feel tough to speak up, especially virtually; I find I can struggle with imposter syndrome when surrounded by so many knowledgeable and experienced people. However, this summer really showed me that people want to hear what you have to say. Speaking up can bring new opportunities, some great mentorship or even just further advance your current project!

I really enjoyed my summer and I’m happy to say my contract has been extended into the fall! I look forward to applying all the skills I’ll learn during the upcoming school year.

Meegwetch for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment